Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Horror of the Week

Alright fabulous warriors, peacemakers, artists and revolutionaries. I know that not many people are following this blog, but I am going to keep writing. I am a writer and storyteller and blogging is a writer's version of getting on the treadmill.
Today I introduce a segment called the "Horror of the Week" These are things that usually I see on the Internet or in print that are a reminder of how far we have to go. How misogyny and heterosexism (and racism, and classism and lots of other isms) are alive and well for those who dare to put the prefix "post" on movements like feminism and civil rights. I plan to introduce a "Shout Out" of the week as well. Cuz dammit if I don't get depressed by all the horrors. Plus it's important to realize that good work is being done by good people.

But first, the horror of the week:

Politician dolls were recently recalled from Walgreen's shelves because of a public outcry. The dolls of Hillary, Obama, and John sing and dance to a popular patriotic tune (Obama's was to Oh Suzanna, "I'm Obama now won't you vote for meee?"...dear god)

Below is a video of the Hillary doll. Yes, you do catch the words "Broad" and "Stand by my man"




And to those who think I should lighten up, take a joke, realize that it doesn't hurt anything...see below. When the joke is "you" when the joke is my identity, when the joke leads to damaging and harmful views of strong women not only is it horrifying, it's dangerous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFMHlPStw_M

I had to post it as a link, since this goes on for a while....

Horrifying.

QC

2 comments:

zini said...

i'm reading. keep writing :)

Unknown said...

I cannot think of another video that made my skin crawl so much as that one did. WOW.