Thursday, October 2, 2008

If there ever was a time for a Sarah Palin drinking game....

Alright y'all, I will only say this: Tonight is the V.P. debate. A lot of people have been hard on sister Sarah (with good reason, don't get me wrong). As for myself, I will admit that I have amused/horrified myself with the Katie Courtic interviews as of late. But, we must remember y'all that this is a woman who has been used. She was not/is not qualified to be vice president. True, she should never accepted when asked. But, how many times as a female politician did she think a chance to advance her career in this way was going to come along? I am not qualified to be a VP. But you bet your buttons that if (praise jebus) the white heterosexual male majority all the sudden recognized the importance of women leaders and someone asked me to step into a position where I could speak up for the rights of my sisters, I would give it some thought. Just like, as a young theatre artist, (and a woman director), I would jump at the chance if Dame Judy Dench called and asked me to direct a one woman show staring her on Broadway. I am not qualified to direct a Broadway production, but who knows when that opportunity would come along. The point is y'all, Judy Dench should not call me! Judy should know better. John McCain should know better. Sarah Palin is a train wreck, I know. I disagree with just about everything that comes out of her mouth (vehemently so). But when we are ripping on her, remember that the reason she is the punchline of jokes is because John McCain makes bad decisions. Because he is a coward (When we were kids, my pa used to throw an ear of cooked corn to the opposite side of the yard when we ate on the picnic table. It kept the flies and the bees off of us and on the corn. Sarah palin = corn) Because we are more comfortable ripping on the woman in front of the curtain than the man who is standing behind it pulling the levers, because when our country did have a intelligent, experienced, eloquent woman in a leading political position, we witnessed some of the most horrifying acts of public misogyny in our country's history. Palin is too dumb. Hillary was too smart. Too dumb or too smart didn't seem to matter when we had men named George and Bill in the white house.
In the meantime, I am looking forward to the debates tonight. In light of a recent horrifying argument with my mother about my worth as a human being as a big ol' lesbian, every time Sarah Palin says something we disagree with, my girlfriend and I will make out. Let's punish John McCain's poor decision making and cowardice with good old fashioned homosexual love fests. I expect hickeys tomorrow.

--QC

P.s. I hope you are registered to vote (whoever you is). If not Monday is the last day:

The last day for voter registration in Michigan is this Monday, October 6. Michigan residents will not be allowed to vote in the November elections unless they register by October 6 at 5:00pm. If you have changed addresses, you must make sure your registration is updated.

You can register to vote in several ways:

  • Walk through the Diag during the day. There has been a huge campus effort to register voters.
  • Stop by the Secretary of State’s mobile office which will be in front of the Michigan League today, October 2 from 9:00am to 3:00pm (they will be registering voters, but can also handle most other Secretary of State services).
  • Register in person Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm at the Ann Arbor City Clerk’s office on the second floor of City Hall (100 N. Fifth Avenue, (734) 994-2725).
  • For more information or if you want to see if you are currently registered, go to the Michigan Secretary of State’s web site. If you are not a Michigan resident, see the Election Assistance Commission’s web site for information.

5 comments:

zini said...

the time for the drinking game is tonight at my house! come over!

Tony Caselli said...

Yay Callie! Hey, I left you a message after you called - did you get it?!

J. Rocker said...

Sarah Palin = corn

...the rest was great. but this... *this* was gold.

Queen Cals said...

why thank you mr. j

Sarah said...

Great post Callie. I watched this debate all the way from Honduras. Only wish I had been in A2 with all my political homies. I would have SO been playing Palin Bingo...you've seen this right? http://palinbingo.com/