Monday, October 13, 2008

Oh What the Hell Is That?

Hello All,

First, Keep your eyes peeled for another blog post soon about some amazing theatre that happened this weekend.

Second, say a big wa-hoo for Connecticut. Another state that gets that whole equal rights thing and has legalize gay marriage

Third, while we are celebrating advances like Connecticut, also take a moment and remember Matthew Shepard. This weekend was the 10th anniversary of his death. Take a moment and remember him and ask yourself if you are doing everything you can to make sure LGBTQ people feel safe in all the places heterosexual people do everyday.

Fouth: Today I introduce yet another segment called "Oh, what the hell is that?" The flea-market lover in me also enjoys perusing online sites of weird stuff. My new favorite site Etsy.com, has homemade goods, but also an amazingly extensive collection of awesome vintage stuff. I ran across this gem last night:

That's right. It's a pillow. It's a homemade pillow. And what's that on your sweet little frilly home accent? A chubby baby strapped to a parachute while wearing a 1940's football helmet. Is this some kind of strange military tactic? Launch chubby babies into war-zones to distract the enemy? And it's not even a real parachute! It looks to be a pillow case tied with 4 sticks attached to a red jump rope. And why is the face, parachute and helmet solid stitching, while the baby is stitched to look like the way something invisible looks in comic books? Is that why the chubby baby can be held up by a pillow case? Because her body is invisible? At first I thought I was some stork-esq reference. The baby being delivered from above...but that, friends, is no baby. That is a full grown toddler.It got me thinking what the occasion would be for making this pillow in the first place. I think this "Oh what the hell is this" needs a tag line. Something like: Congrats on your child learning how to jump from a plane! or Congrats on little billy beginning to walk, make sure he has all of his safety gear!

Dear readers, I open this one up for comment...

QC

2 comments:

zini said...

i told you not to get pregnant...congratulations?

Queen Cals said...

nice :-)